Saturday, November 20, 2010

For All The Nerd Girls...

One of my daily online destinations is the awesome Topless Robot, and that's where I first heard about Katie Goldman, a little girl who was teased for bringing a Star Wars water bottle to school. Her mom, a blogger for Chicago Now tells the whole story here, but basically Katie was reduced to tears because some boys told her that she couldn't love Star Wars because it wasn't for girls. Seriously.

Now, I don't have kids, and normally this type of story would have me shaking my head in disbelief and then moving on with my day. But something about Katie's story touched me. Maybe it's because I'm a lifelong Star Wars nerd and I see her as one of the tribe. Maybe it's because my girlfriend (whose name is Katie) is a sweet, beautiful geek girl whom I love to pieces. I don't know, but I wanted to do some small thing to show my nerd solidarity.

So this is for Katie Goldman, and for every other nerd girl who ever got teased or bullied for loving something that other people didn't understand. Let your geek flags fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment